Friday, March 20, 2015

The Struggle Is Real

I started this blog because people ask me all the time how I lost so much weight.  Typically they are very polite, struggling with their own weight and are seeking encouragement for how they can lose weight.  I love the opportunity to share with them.  Sometimes people have not seen me in a while and are shocked at the difference.  Either way, I don't mind the attention, although sometimes people have boundary issues, like the lovely lady who grabbed my cheeks and said, "Look at you!"  Ummm, yeah, thank you.  (awkward)

I must say the struggle is real.  It does not come easy ... losing weight, keeping it off and getting to the gym daily.  I am dealing with two new struggles.  One is I need to drink more water.  I bring water to work with me, but I am not drinking it.  The other is new aches and pains I have not had before.  Two weeks ago, I strained my right hip flexor (which is getting better, but is still tender).  Yesterday, I strained my lower back.  Today I was up at 2:30 a.m. in pain and I can barely stand up straight.  Ibuprofen, ice, rest (not too much), stretching.  Repeat. 

To be completely honest, This morning, I feel like I've just about had it.  I don't want to be in pain.  I want to eat what I want.  I don't want to go to the gym.  The struggle is real.

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10

Yesterday was March 19, six months until the Ride to Remember.  Oh my!!!  Panic attack.  Three weeks ago I did a one hour boot camp at the gym and nearly passed out.  One hour of extreme whatever it was they put us through and I was done for the day.  How am I going to make it on this ride if I can't handle one hour of extreme cardio?  If my back and my hip are aching now, what in the world will it be like on a 106 mile bike ride?

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.  
Galatians 6:9

I have talked about this before.  These self-defeatist attitudes will only get to me if I allow them.  How important is it to me to keep the weight off?  Is the free dessert from the restaurant worth the calories and carbs?  How important is it to me to do the ride?  Am I willing to do whatever it takes to train for it?  Even if it means aches and pains along the way?  Even if it means going to the gym if I'm sore and tired and just want to give up?

So when people ask me how I lost the weight.  I tell them, "I have a story, but if you want the quick version, it's carefully watching everything you eat (EVERYTHING), exercise AND 'sticktoitiveness'."  (Yes,  this is a new word in the Tracey Coleman Dictionary:  sticktoitiveness = the determination to never give up.)


 
Be strong, stick to your goals.  Do not give into yourself!  Overcome temptations and work through challenges.  Get to the gym today!!!


Remember I told you one of my goals is to be able to do three sets of 10 push ups?  I'm not there yet, but I can consistently do six push ups.  This is a small goal, but it helps to keep me focused.  What is your goal?  Can you break it down to something smaller and more achievable?


But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.
2 Chronicles 15:7

No comments:

Post a Comment