Saturday, November 7, 2015

Squats

With the colder weather and early sunset, I've been spending more time focusing on strength training and doing a little bit of yoga. 

With the shift in focus on weight training, I'm noticing an increase in my strength and in my body physiologically.  I've been doing squats on the squat rack at the gym.  When I started them in September, I was doing about 65 - 70 lbs. and that was a lot.  I've gradually increased my weights and today was a new personal record.


Today I did 135lbs!  I've done 130 a couple times, but have always felt like I couldn't do more, so I didn't try for the extra 5.  Today I did it!!

Physiological changes:  Since I'm not pushing myself on the bike anymore, I'm no where near as fatigued as I was.  Someone told me today that I don't look as tired and worn out.  I think that probably falls in line with me not being as fatigued.

He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength.
Isaiah 40:29

I've gained about two pounds, which isn't that much, but makes me feel like I'm finally leveling off.  (Sunday update:  so much for the two pounds.  Today I got on the scale and I lost that two pounds, plus an additional 1/2 lb.  So I'm down a total of 88 lbs. to date.)

For the first time, when I look at myself, I don't see fat legs.  I can hear my friend Erica now, "Coleman, I don't want to hear it.  Shut up."  But, my thighs have always been jiggly and even though I've dropped several sizes, I look down at my thighs and see fat.  Yet at the same time, my pants were falling off.  (So much of our body image is what we see in ourselves.)  Let me explain...I was looking at my legs, seeing that they were thinner, but still thinking that they were fat.  Now when I look at them, they are fuller and firmer.  So, there's more muscle mass.  And FINALLY, my pants are not falling off.  I'm super grateful for that!

Almost two years into this journey.  I am still learning.  Every day is a new challenge.  My newest challenge, which requires letting go and not obsessing has been more challenging than I thought it would be.  But the reward has surpassed what I expected.

Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put it into practice.  And the God of peace will be with you.
Philippians 4:9 NIV

I know so many people who try to lose weight by various intermittent fad diets and integrating cardio into their routine.  Cardio does help to burn calories, but the weight training has really made the difference as far as increasing my metabolism, strength and making me feel better about myself.  If you want to lose weight, be smart.  It's not a quick fix that will help you with long term success.  Look into flexible dieting, read articles on BodyBuilding.com about how to lose weight.  Track your food - every bite.  It makes a difference - one you'll never believe until you see the results yourself.

Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul.
3 John 1:2

Questions for you:  (Answer in the comment section below.)
What's your favorite form of exercise?

New:  Subscribe to new posts!  When a new post is added, you will receive an email notice so you can check it out.  I promise:  no SPAM and I won't share your email address with anyone.  Look at the top right side of the page to subscribe.  

Follow me on Instagram:  @tracoleman99

No comments:

Post a Comment