Friday, November 27, 2015

Too Much

Happy Day AFTER Thanksgiving, also known as Black Friday!

Last year we went to Orlando for a few days and spent Thanksgiving in Epcot Center.  Black Friday we went to Universal Studios, so we missed out on our traditional Thanksgiving dinner and Black Friday madness.

Thanksgiving (2014) in Epcot Center
Black Friday (2014) in Universal Studios, Orlando
This year, we had a small gathering at our house.  Several of our usual attendees were not with us, so it was very small and we had way TOO MUCH food.  I don't think I've eaten so much in three years.  I was still full this morning.

Mitch and his girlfriend had dinner with her family.
Friend Karen had dinner with her neighbors.
Mom and my Uncle Wesley weren't feeling well, so they weren't with us.
Just a small group, but food for WAY more!
Now that my kids are older, there isn't the pressure to go crazy shopping in the middle of the night on Black Friday.  Massachusetts has Blue Laws, which prevent stores from opening on Thanksgiving.  I'm just as glad because I think it's wrong for stores to be open, making their employees work and miss out on time with their families.  Today, I did do some shopping, but the lines in the stores were ridiculous, so I called it quits soon.

The weather today was gorgeous.  It was sunny, 64 degrees, with a slight breeze.  I just HAD to go out on my bike.  Because I didn't have to work today, I took advantage of the time.  I did 35 miles, including over 1,600 feet of climbing (which means awesome downhill thrills).  It's been a while since I rode 35 miles.  When I got back, I was tired and HUNGRY.  I had left over shrimp cocktail for dinner.  And the rest of the apple and pumpkin pie.


Who does that?  I mean, I get it, you're hungry, Tracey.  But, what's with the pie?  Now that the pie is gone, it won't be there to tempt me anymore.  I guess that's a good thing.  But it has me thinking about the continuous need for balance.  I've been on this journey for two years.  Just when I think I have things "under control" the holidays come and I eat left over apple and pumpkin pie for dinner.  Not exactly the healthiest choices.  I'm not going to beat myself up about it.  It just makes me realize that I'm not finished yet.  My trainer tells me that all the time.  He says, "Tracey, you're doing great.  But the good thing is you're not finished yet."  And I laugh and say, "What do you mean by that?"  Today I know.  There's no reason I needed to eat so much yesterday (to the point where I was physically ill) and there is absolutely no reason to eat pie for dinner tonight.  It was simply put, TOO MUCH.

My weight is okay.  I'm not worried about that.  I am concerned about my complete lack of self-control.  So, I'm learning.  Tonight will be lots of water.  I'm leaning towards super clean eating for the next week.  Chicken, vegetables, salad, repeat.  I am also thinking about how I will handle Christmas.  I know we will have more guests, which will keep me busier and less focused on all the food.  But I'm already thinking about the menu and how to throw some lighter fare into the mix so I don't feel sick after I eat.

For God gave us a spirit not of fear, but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Final thought on this topic:  tomorrow is a new day.  Thank God for new days.

Check out my series:  What Matters Most
Part One      Part Two       Part Three       Part Four

Question for you: (Answer in the comment section below.)
What amazing foods did you eat this weekend?

Now:  Subscribe to new posts!  When a new post is added, you will receive an email notice so you can check it out.  I promise:  no SPAM and I won't share your email address with anyone.  Look at the top right side of the page to subscribe.  


Follow me on Instagram:  @tracoleman99

No comments:

Post a Comment