Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Don't go it alone!

Being married to a police officer who works third shift has made for an interesting marriage.  I have learned to get through the long nights alone.  When the kids were little, it was very lonely.  As they got older and into more activities, it became very busy for me.  We were running all the time.  Now that one is in college and the other is a teenager, my life is my own again.  

I am used to being alone, but facing obstacles alone is overwhelming.  Trying to lose weight and get to the gym regularly to exercise...these are things that require commitment and a level of accountability.  I've tried just about everything, I am even a lifetime member of Weight Watchers.  

When I embarked on my goal to become fit last year, I knew I had to do things differently.  While Weight Watchers worked for me in the past, I never had lasting results with it.  It did teach me how to eat smart (but those blasted points).  I tried to go to the gym at the ungodly hour of 5 a.m., which did not work.  If it was too cold, either my gym partner or I would send a text saying, "Too cold, not today."  That would turn into a week of no gym, which resulted in a lot of cheating on my diet.

I'm used to losing five pounds in the first week of a diet, but after six weeks, I lost only seven pounds.  I was still aching and sore.   At age 44, my body did not respond the way it did when I was 30.  Things needed to change!  My colleagues at work were all trying to lose weight too.  Andrea hired a personal trainer, which was working well for her.  With my bad knee, and lack of progress, I made the decision to hire a trainer, and that has made the world of difference for me.  

The girls at work have been my cheerleaders all along the way.  We share ideas and suggestions.  Erica even gave me some of her clothes when they got too big for her.  Having a common goal has brought us close together.  They all tease me terribly, which I take in stride.  It's usually about my clothes being too big, my "having to" get to the gym, or using Vaseline for my chapped lips.  For my birthday, they went all out!!  Andrea made cupcakes (yes, I cheated a little on my birthday) and they got me some wonderful presents.  I love these girls!


 My birthday celebration at work
    
me with:  Erica (top), Tami (middle), Sanyalee (bottom) & Andrea (right)



As iron sharpens iron,  so one person sharpens another.
Proverbs 27:17

My sister-in-law Maria has been cheering for me from Boston all along the way.  I am one of her biggest fans and admire her so much.  When we went there for New Years Eve, Maria took me out to do our own little boot camp in the cold!!!  It was fun and I felt accomplished for keeping up with her. 

I would be remiss if I did not include my husband.  He is the one who holds me accountable, who gives me "the eye" when I buy food we should not have in the house.  He is the one who made me so mad that I actually trained for and completed the Rugged Maniac!  He is the love of my life.  


After the Rugged Maniac

On my journey over the past year, having a good support system has been critical to my success.  I could not have done it without them!   So, who is your support network?  Who cheers for you?  Find people with similar interests and goals, who will join you in your mission to become a healthier you.

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up.  But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up.
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 (NIV)






No comments:

Post a Comment