Friday, June 26, 2015

Commitment

No matter how you think about it, or look at it, it all boils down to commitment. Are you committed to becoming fit? Are you willing to do what it takes to make your dreams come true? The concept of commitment has probably most helped me overcome obstacles along the way.


Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established.
Proverbs 16:3

Before my trainer, Mike, died, I really did not have the commitment needed to achieve my goals. I worked out at the gym pretty regularly, but I did things the way I wanted and made a lot of excuses.  When Mike died, I had an "A-Ha" moment.  His death made me realize how precious life is. Treasure the things that matter most: family, friends, health.  I had a renewed sense of commitment to meet my fitness goals.  I don't know if you want to call it determination or a desire to prove something from the tragedy.  (I write about this here:  Mike made me do it.)

Commitment is a tough word. When you commit yourself to something, or someone, it means you're "all in." But as a society, we often fear commitment.  I think it's fear of failure, a fear of success, a fear of getting hurt - maybe a combination of all three.  Looking back on the past 18 months, I can see varying levels of commitment towards my fitness journey.  What kept me moving forward was thinking to myself, "Do you have what it takes?  Do you dare to succeed?  Do you dare to try your best and possibly fail?"  I have surprised myself over and over again.  Even today, about 75 lbs. from my original weight, stronger than I have ever been, I have to ask myself, "Do you have what it takes?  Are you a quitter?"  It's commitment.

I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.
Psalm 34:4

That said, I have not traveled this journey alone.  I have an amazing support system.

  • My best friend Stacy started her journey towards fitness this year and has lost 50 lbs!  I am so happy for her!  She inspires me to keep going and we share ideas, laugh together, cry together, and sometimes yell at each other. That's what friends do - they stick together through the good and the bad.  
  • My husband puts up with me, gives me riding tips and suggestions.  He says, "I don't want to hear it when you're sore tomorrow."  And when he's right, I say, "I don't want to hear, 'I told you so.'"  I love him!  
  • My sister-in-law Maria who cheers for me along the way, who drags me out in 15 degree weather to do "boot camp."
  • My cousin Jaime is an NPC Bikini Competitor.  Over the past two years, I have admired her journey and she has so inspired me.  If she could accomplish all she has, I know I can reach my goals. 
  • I've written previously about the girls at work and my trainer Dmitriy.  They are a constant source of support, encouragement and are truly the ones that keep me honest and keep me going.  You can read about them here:  Don't go it alone and Dmitriy made it happen.

Whoever isolates himself seeks his own desire; he breaks out against all sound judgement.
Proverbs 18:1

Let me ask you: Are you thinking about making changes to your life?  Is it a fitness goal?  Is it a career change?  Is it a relationship?  Are you committed to what it takes to be successful?  Are you afraid?  Maybe you'll fail.  Maybe you'll succeed - and WHAT would that mean?  Maybe  you'll get hurt.  Success.  Failure.  Pain.  What's worse?  Sitting back, doing nothing, waiting for something to change, letting life go by and your existence to continue.  OR Stepping out, taking steps to change, taking risks and seeing what happens.  Maybe you will fail, but if you are truly committed, you won't let a temporary failure set you back completely.  You'll find a way around your obstacle and you'll renew.  We learn every day, only if we allow ourselves the chance.

At the end of the day, I want to be able to say, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."  2 Timothy 4:7

Follow me on Instagram @tracoleman99












No comments:

Post a Comment