Saturday, June 4, 2016

Why?

In my last blog, I wrote about the need to transform your mind when you set out to change.  Change is difficult and we always want to go back to our most comfortable state.  To make change happen, you have to develop a new way of thinking.  It takes both physical and mental will power.

Critical to your success is developing your "why?"  If your doctor told you to lose weight, or if you are tired of your reflection in the mirror, that in and of itself may not be a strong enough why.  But, if the person you are closest to says, "I'm concerned about your weight." Or if you are facing surgery unless you bring down your blood pressure, lose weight, and lower your cholesterol, that may be a strong enough why.  It is possible that a talk from your doctor may be what you need.  But having a strong "why" is foundational to future success.

What do I mean?  When I set out on this journey in 2014, I weighed 232 lbs.  I was a work-a-holic, and a couch potato.  My nutrition was terrible.  I was in pain 24 hours / day,  7 days / week.  I was tired all the time.  I knew I had to do something about my weight, but I let a ton of excuses get in my way.  I had a STRONG why, but internalizing it was difficult.
This was taken, July, 2013.  I probably weighed about 220 lbs. here.

When my trainer Mike died in November, I told Dmitriy that I wanted to do the Ride to Remember, that became my "why."  I set out to do what I never dreamed possible.  I trained hard for it.  And I learned everything I could about nutrition.  That was a stronger why.  That became my driving force.
Brian & I after the Ride to Remember.
Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men.
Colossians 3:23

Questions for you...
So let me ask you, what is your why?  Is your why strong enough?  What can you do (or do you do) to internalize it?

If you are struggling to lose weight or get into shape, it could be that your why is not strong enough.  You may need to add a second why which is more compelling for you.  Losing weight in and of itself may not be enough of a goal.  Maybe you want to plan to hike a mountain near where you live, or run a 5K.  Everyone has their own motivating factor.  What is yours?

Stay tuned for more on this topic.

Now:  Subscribe to new posts!  When a new post is added, you will receive an email notice so you can check it out.  I promise:  no SPAM and I won't share your email address with anyone.  Look at the top right side of the page to subscribe.  

Follow me...
Twitter:  @TraceyFit99
Instagram:  @tracoleman99
Snapchat:  tracoleman993

No comments:

Post a Comment