Saturday, March 3, 2018

My Top Reads

In my last post, It's a Process:  Three Keys, I talked about what it takes to lose weight and keep it off.  Establishing a cognitive / emotional shift is probably the most critical key to long term success.  What does this mean?  It means changing the way you think about feel, and removing the emotional attachment you have to the process, including emotional connections to food, the way you see yourself, and self-imposed limitations.

There really isn't a road map for this.  But there are several things you can do to work on this, including reading about nutrition and exercise from reliable sources.  I subscribe to several newsletters and blogs which help me in a variety of ways.  One of my readers asked me to share with you here, so my best picks.

Caution:  You can't take EVERYTHING you read as straight from the Bible. Ask yourself, "Does the information provided concur with what I know from other reliable sources?" There is a lot of conflicting information out there.  It doesn't hurt to fact check anything that seems questionable.  So take what you can, and leave the rest.

RUNEATRepeat



Run Eat Repeat by Monica Olivas is a blog all about running, weight loss and healthy living.  What I like about Monica's blog is she provides so much variety in her posts.  She talks about everything and anything, is very candid in her posts, and is one of the most motivating people I follow.  I subscribe to her blog, but I also follow her on FacebookInstagram, and a Vlog on YouTube.   She also has great podcasts you can listen to.

Even if you don't run, you will learn a lot about healthy living.  She is always giving super easy meal ideas and recipes, basic at-home workouts you can do, as well as strategies for overcoming mental blocks, just to name a few.  RUNEATRepeat is my favorite blog and Monica is definitely my favorite motivational fitness person out there.  Check her out! 

Great:  Monica does not try to sell anything to you.  She will share products she uses so you have the option of checking them out if you are looking for something to help you run better.  But she is not a vendor, so she's not looking to sell her product.

BodyBuilding.com


BodyBuilding.com is a very popular site/ online store for nutritional supplements for body builders.  But it is so much more than that!  Written by leading experts, the site has a wealth of articles about training and nutrition.  These feature different workout programs (with step-by-step videos), tips for improving your workouts, overcoming injuries, and even how to get started.  Here are just a few examples of featured articles on their website today:


I subscribe to their newsletter, but I find myself going to their website again and again for suggestions and ideas.  When I'm doing a new exercise, if I'm not sure how to do it and Pat (my trainer), isn't available to show me how to do it, I go to them for the specific "how to's."  When someone asks me for help with their nutrition, I direct them to BodyBuilding.com's calculators, which help you calculate calories or macros.

Remember: this site is selling their product.  You are not going to lose weight or get in shape by consuming supplements alone.  You have to do the work. 

SELF Magazine

Click on their link and you are automatically directed to sign up for their newsletter.  I receive daily emails from them with links to articles about recipes, fitness fashion, workouts, motivation, and different health tips.  They also feature articles about what different celebrities are doing to get or stay in shape.

This newsletter has become my favorite email of the day.  I love checking out the recipes they feature.  Because I get so bored with the same foods.  Who doesn't?  While I have my own workout plan that I follow every day, I really like to know what else is out there.  Anything I can do to change things up or make my workout a little more fun is always of interest to me.

Furthermore, SELF has articles about topics no one wants to discuss publicly.  Like:
...just to name a few.

Break Out the Skinny Girl


I can't really do justice to describing this blog, so here's the summary right from Dee, the author:

It’s not a blog about a diet. It’s more a blog about what goes on in my head because I’m on a diet, if that makes sense. Which it doesn’t, always…I should manage your expectations in that regard! Sometimes it’s funny, sometimes it’s thorny, sometimes I struggle and sometimes I feel like I’m on top of it but the thread that runs through all of it is bare naked honesty. Oh, and I do use a few naughty words here and there…sorry about that ðŸ™‚
I can so relate to Dee's experience and have enjoyed reading her blog since its inception.  

Note:  Dee's blog is a personal one about her journey.  You can become part of her "posse" by regularly commenting on her posts.  Keep your comments positive!

WebMD


WebMD, simply put is an online website with articles about everything health related under the sun.  I subscribe to their newsletter, but have it customized to items of interest to me, like women's health, mental health, fitness and nutrition.  I LOVE the various slideshows they have with quick information about topics of interest, such as 15 Things That Slow Your Metabolism.

Note:  Don't use WebMD as your personal doctor.  You really have to speak openly with your own physician about medical concerns you have.

New favorite workout song:
Turn Me On
by David Guetta ft. Nicki Minaj

Question for you:  (Answer in the comment section below.)
What's your favorite online magazine/ newsletter or blog?

Follow me...


Instagram:  @tracoleman99


My new mantra:  Be the Champion of Today!
Have a great weekend!  Go get 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment