Sunday, January 3, 2016

Back to the Drawing Board

So, it's January 3, how is the New Year going so far?  How are you doing with your goals for 2016?  

My friend Jackie and I went hiking yesterday.  It was cold at first, but we warmed up as we got moving up the mountain.
I have received several messages from my friends and followers that either things are going great ... OR ... that they are so discouraged about how poorly they did over the holidays or that they did not reach their goals for 2015.
I completed 100 Days of Gratitude on Facebook on New Years Eve.  One of my friends from church started her 100 Days last week and she posted this picture of her walking the pool, saying that I inspired her.  I am so happy for her and I am thrilled that my blog is making a difference.
Today's post is all about starting fresh.  It doesn't matter whether you had a bad month or a bad year.  Maybe you had a death in the family, lost your job, had to care for a loved one, moved into a new home, or maybe it was something else that got in your way.  While ALL of that affects us and impacts our progress, today is your day to say, "I'm okay and I'm NOT going to let my circumstances keep me back."

It's time to go back to the drawing board.
I'm going to be honest with you, because what would the point be if I didn't practice what I preach? Between Thanksgiving and New Years, I gained 6 lbs.  I'm not happy about it.  So, I am going back to basics with my nutrition.  I am eating lots of vegetables and lean protein.  I am drinking at least 16 oz. of water with every meal.  I have carrot sticks on hand to eat when I have the munchies.  I know I can do better than I did the last month.  I have no excuses, just that I wanted to eat what I wanted to eat.  I got lazy with my nutrition, skipped meals, took shortcuts.  But today is not a day to feel shame or guilt, it's a day to say, "All right, let's make this happen!"

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation.  The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
2 Corinthians 4:17 (ESV)

So, if you are feeling bad about your weight, about how you feel physically, stop it now.  If you have to, say to yourself, "Cut it out."  There is absolutely NO good resulting from feeling guilt or shame about your weight or the current state of your well-being.  Develop a mantra to drown out the negative voice in your head.  If you can't think of your own, try one of these:

"Today is my day.  I can do this."

"2016 is going to be the year for me."

"I believe in myself.  I will succeed."

My husband decided to lose weight and get healthy this year.  So I have become a bit of the food police.  You should hear me, "Drink the entire glass of water."  "What are you doing with those chips?  Stop that now!"  He thinks it's hysterical, but at the same time, he wants my help and wants to give me a hard time, so I'll amuse him for a little while, but eventually he needs to make wise decisions on his own.
This is me.  "Stop, this is not okay to eat."  "Here's an orange, you can eat that."
Unless you have a life coach or a partner to support you, you need to figure out how to be your own food police.  If you have left over holiday junk food, I give you permission to throw it all away.  Go ahead and clean out the fridge and throw it in the trash.  It's probably old and stale now anyway.  It's NOT worth the calories anymore.  You are worth better than that.  Take advantage of the New Years sales at the supermarkets and stock your fridge up with fresh fruits and vegetables.

Make a new playlist on your iPod or phone and get out there and move your body.  I particularly like this one:

Let's Go by Calvin Harris feat. Ne-Yo
It's not about what you've done, it's about what you're doing.
It's all about where you're going, no matter where you been.
Let's go!

If you need help with your journey, message me.  I'll invite you to my fitness group on Facebook if you're interested.  Sometimes the additional support can be very beneficial.

Challenge for today:
Take at least 30 minutes today to go for a walk and reflect on what is good.  Think positively about where you are today.  You are beginning a new journey, to transform yourself to a new way of life.

Question for you: 
(Answer in the comment section below.)
How are you doing so far with your goals for 2016?  What is your mantra to keep you going? 

Now:  Subscribe to new posts!  When a new post is added, you will receive an email notice so you can check it out.  I promise:  no SPAM and I won't share your email address with anyone.  Look at the top right side of the page to subscribe.  

Follow me on Instagram:  @tracoleman99


No comments:

Post a Comment