Friday, January 1, 2016

New Year, New Mindset

Happy New Year!

How was your holiday?  When my husband is off, we spend New Year's with his family in Nahant.  The kids are growing up though and want to do their own thing.  I have mixed emotions about that.  Hanging with my in-laws is a lot of fun for us, though.
Maria and I took a walk to the "end of the Earth" (as Maria calls it) yesterday.  It was so peaceful.
Brian makes such corny faces in pictures
Today marks the first day of 2016.  This year will bring several big occasions for our family.  My son graduates from high school.  I graduate from grad school.  Brian and I celebrate our 25th Anniversary.  My niece celebrates her 30th birthday.  I have my 30th high school reunion.  Both of my kids get to vote in their first presidential election.  Hopefully I will get hired as an Assistant Principal and start a new career.

This morning, I took a walk down to Dunkin Donuts, saw the beach.  Seriously, I heard it calling me.  I ended up walking the entire shoreline all the way to Lynn.  My husband had to come get me because they wanted breakfast and I wasn't there.  I felt bad (but not really), like a little kid for walking too far.  Sorry (not sorry?).  I didn't mean to stall breakfast. Honest.  I just wanted to walk.  It was beautiful.
Lunch today:  Weight Watcher's vegetable soup and a protein shake.  Back to basics for me.
Many of you will endeavor to begin or rejuvenate your own journey towards being healthier and fit.

My friend Jackie posted sort of a "Dear Ann Landers" note on my Facebook page the other day.  The woman talked about starting a diet means gaining weight.  She went on to talk about the importance of being healthy and having a positive self image.  I briefly talked about this here: "Content, not complacent."

The reason most people start a diet or a fitness journey / goal on January 1 is because they are not content with how they feel or how they look.  They want to be healthy and ... the holidays are finally over.

Last night's dinner:  Chicken Alfredo, lobster with butter, meatballs, an egg roll, a chicken finger and kale salad.  It was sooo delicious and I was full.  I don't need to  lose any more weight, but I can't continue to eat like this and keep the weight off.  So, I'm focusing on healthy eating and exercise to keep myself on track.
In my last post, I gave some strategies for accomplishing your goals: Resolve to Change.
In this post, I want to talk about the importance of having the right mindset.  If  you want to lose weight...to be healthier...to begin or renew a journey towards fitness you need a plan.  However, without the right mindset, you will fail and end up where you started.

One of the things I actually liked about Weight Watchers was attending the weekly meetings.  Listening to the speaker, hearing feedback from other members, learning new strategies.  It really helped me to develop a positive mindset about weight loss.  Where I failed to have long term success is when I gave up.  I met a roadblock, got lazy and threw in the towel.

Mindset is key

When you first set out on your journey, typically you are pumped about the new beginning.  You are excited to change your life.  What you must keep in mind is that change is work and work is hard, so when the newness wears off, that's when giving up is too easy.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
Philippians 4:8

Develop your own personal mantra.  What you will say to yourself over and over so you can accomplish your goals.  It's what you need to rely on when the going gets tough.  For me it was basic,  "You have to do this, Tracey.  You can't give up."  Whatever it is, it should be simple and easy to remember.  It's what you say to yourself when the going is good and when the going gets tough.

Keep your motivation high.

If you're on Instagram, follow people who are super motivational about fitness.  Here are a couple of my favorites:
Monica @runeatrepeat
I actually subscribe to her blog.  She talks a lot about running, nutrition and various things that make me smile, laugh and sometimes think.

Elif @elifcanbulat_  (she has some awesome videos) and
Daniella @dandxb.lovesbeingfit (she is so motivational)

Raymond @theonlinecoach (he is super strong) and
Chris @mma_yogi (I think he's the coolest yogi)

I often search for images on Google about fitness, weight loss and motivation.  I will post these on Instagram or Facebook as a reminder to myself.  Why did I want to start this journey?  How am I going to stick with it?  Here's my most recent search:

These are some pretty inspirational images.  Find the ones you like, download them.
Upload them to your favorite Social media or make them the wallpaper on your PC or phone.
Regular reminders help keep your motivation high.
Having the right mindset is key to long term success.  If it's weight you want to lose, a marathon you want to run, weights you want to lift, aches and pains you want to get rid of...whatever it is, you have to resolve to STICK with it!  When the going gets rough, don't quit.  If you have a set back, if you "fall off the wagon," don't let that derail your overall efforts.  Change takes time.  It's worth the effort.

This is true!!!
It's a journey, not a sprint.


Questions for you: 
(Answer in the comment section below.)
Did you do anything special for New Years?  What are your goals for 2016?

Now:  Subscribe to new posts!  When a new post is added, you will receive an email notice so you can check it out.  I promise:  no SPAM and I won't share your email address with anyone.  Look at the top right side of the page to subscribe.  

Follow me on Instagram:  @tracoleman99



No comments:

Post a Comment