Thursday, February 4, 2016

Do You Have My Keys

Last week was not a good week for me.  It wasn't a bad week, but there were quite a few things that added up to a very frustrating conclusion. Without getting into specifics, the icing on the cake was that I lost my keys at work.  A couple years ago, I put my car keys onto the same key chain as my office keys so I wouldn't lose either.  I am notorious for leaving my keys somewhere and not being able to find them, so my intern even bought me a bright red "Wonder Woman" lanyard to keep them on so I wouldn't lose them.  Friday I lost them.  I looked for them frantically all day.  No luck.  My friend Erica brought me home so I could get my spare keys.  Things only got worse after that.  I can't talk about it, but I was in a rage that lasted all night and into the next day.

Don't you hate when things are out of your control and you can't do anything about them?
When things are going wrong and there's nothing you can do to stop the train?
When people you care about do or say things to intentionally (or unintentionally) hurt or anger you?
When 100 different stupid things go wrong all at the same time?

I'm usually a pretty happy-go-lucky kind of person.  I don't tend to hold grudges.  I'm relatively quick to forgive and forget.  I let things slide.  But Friday I felt like the universe was against me.  I was so angry.
Fools give full vent to their rage, but the wise bring calm in the end.
Proverbs 29:11

The old me would have fixated on all that went wrong.  I probably would have cried because I was overwhelmed, eaten a few gallons of ice cream and either slept for hours, or would have been up all night tossing and turning.   The new me did not even approach things like I used to.  I refused to allow myself to think or dwell on all that had gone awry last week.

You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.
Isaiah 26:3 NIV

Even though I had a bad week (and in retrospect, no one thing was not that big of a deal, just a lot of little stupid things), I did take time to find the bright spots.

One of our JROTC instructors gave this to me last week:
Master Sergeant Manning gave this to me as a token of appreciation.  I can't tell you how much that meant to me.
We FINALLY got a lot done around the house this weekend:  laundry, housework and putting the rest of the Christmas decorations away.  Yes, I'm that person who leaves the Christmas decorations out for way too long.  (The tree came down a few weeks ago, but the boxes needed to be put away and were piled up in the living room.)  Being productive made me feel a lot better.

I changed the music on my workout playlist.  I now have an entire Spanish music list that really makes me want to dance.
Seriously, I don't know why I did't do this sooner!!!  The absolute BEST music!!
Suavemente...Besame.  Quiero sentir tus labios besandome otra vez.
Kiss me, softly.  I want to feel your lips kissing me one more time.
I stayed away from the computer, where I tend to lose myself, so the blog was neglected a little.

Sunday at church, my friend Jackie took my keys (she didn't even know I lost my keys) and knit a cute little bonnet for my house key.
My spare keys.
I went to the gym and lifted.  Pumping iron makes me really happy.

I have such a serious face at the gym.  But this IS my happy!
I took a five mile walk on Saturday and again on Sunday.  It's so wonderful to just clear my head.
My walking companion.  Koby brings a toy with him when we walk.  It's his job to walk his "baby."  
This week is National School Counselor Week.  Our department brought breakfast in to share with each other.  It's a good way to develop community with each other.

Each of us filled in why we love being a school counselor.  I filled it in with my plate.  I mean, this is one of the BEST parts of my job!!
Me eating a pącki (a Polish doughnut).  Soooooo delicious!
Did you read my posts on Carbs?  Carbs and Carbs 2.

By letting go, I have been able to trust God to work things out.  Whatever happens, happens, I know it's in His hands.

I will go before you, and make the crooked places straight.
Isaiah 45:2a

Monday, shortly before dismissal, my keys were found!!!!!  I ran through the office jumping up and down with glee.

Hanging from my keychain is a a removable thumb drive with all my work from college for the past two years.  I did not know what I was going to do without it.

They fell into this hole in our attendance clerk's desk.  I was using her color printer to print some signs.  They unknowingly fell into the hole, which she keeps covered with a silk flower pot on top of the hole, so it's a miracle they were even found.
This week I got my first cold in three years (possibly even a slight case of the flu).  I feel like such a big baby with it.  My throat is sore, my sinuses are congested, I'm exhausted, and HUNGRY.  Today I'm feeling a little better.  I might even go to the gym today. 

My "feel better" medicine.  I have been drinking tea with honey like it's going out of style.  I don't even care about the sugar or calories in the honey. I'm sick.  I need to feel better.  Whatever it takes.
All in all, through the good and the bad, the lost keys and the pącki, I am so pleased with how my life has changed.  It's not just the weight loss.  It's feeling better about myself, my job, about who I am and my place in the world, focusing on the blessings instead of the sand in my shoe.  To end this post, just to make YOUR day a little brighter, you have to watch this video.  I laughed so hard.  It's too funny!

Adele - Hello Parody by Hella Cravings
Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.
1 Peter 5:7 (ESV)
Questions for you:
(Answer in the comment section below.)

Have you ever lost your keys?  What did you do?
What's your favorite song on your playlist?

Now:  Subscribe to new posts!  When a new post is added, you will receive an email notice so you can check it out.  I promise:  no SPAM and I won't share your email address with anyone.  Look at the top right side of the page to subscribe.  

Follow me on Instagram:  @tracoleman99


No comments:

Post a Comment