Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Do you believe?

Discouragement is so easy to enter into our belief system when we are just getting started.
Last week it might have sounded like this:

I got on the scale and I weigh 216 lbs.  
That's awful.  
I'm awful.  
I'm so ashamed.

For a week, you tried to do what you could.  You ate smart.  Tried to get to the gym.  Drank a lot of water.  Darn it, you were hungry!  This week, you weigh-in and...

I weigh 214.8 lbs.   MAYBE you even gained a pound or two....
I only lost 1.2 lbs.   (I can't believe I gained two pounds?!?!)
That's awful.
I tried so hard.
I hate this.
I don't even know what I'm doing.
I don't think I can do this.
I'm so ashamed.

You start to doubt what you're doing.  Your life is busy.  You are tired.  This whole process is discouraging.

Let me STOP you RIGHT NOW!

If you have more than 50 lbs. to lose, you cannot expect to see rapid results immediately.  You just can't live in that fantasy world and allow doubt, shame and self-condemnation to rule your mindset.

YOU MUST BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!
No matter what!!!
If you gave it an honest try last week and you gained one or two pounds, DO NOT STRESS about that!

Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10

Ask yourself a couple of questions...
What time of day did you weigh yourself?  Was it the same time of day as last time?
What clothes were you wearing last time?  Was it different?
What did you eat/drink before you weighed-in?
When was the last time you pooped?  Ummm, yeah, what goes in, must come out and it does make a difference on the scale.

If everything is more or less equal from one week to the next, just consider it a fluctuation in the scale.  Don't worry about it.  Have a good day today and get on the scale tomorrow to see if there's any difference.  When I weigh myself, I do it first thing in the morning with no clothes on at all. (Essentially I am dehydrated and have an empty stomach and am the lightest I'll be for the day.)  This morning I got on the scale and I weighed 153.9.  I was super excited because I was 158 last week.  This afternoon, I got on the scale to show someone that it is accurate and it does work and I weighed 155.5.  That's with my clothes on and after I'd had food and beverage throughout the day.  Your weight fluctuates.
Someone asked me how I can lose four pounds in one week.  I said, "Eh, it's the scale."  Yes, I worked hard this week.  I did.  My nutrition was on point and my workouts have been 100%.  But still, 4 lbs. is quite a bit in one week.  But who knows!  Next week I could be up a pound.  I don't stress out.  I know I am working hard to be the best I an be.  With that, I am satisfied.
What you want to look for is weight loss over time.  One to two pounds per week is healthy.  Sometimes you may see a five pound drop in one week, followed by little to no change the week after.  It's just the way our bodies are made.  Get over it and stop with the crazy self talk.

Now, let's go back to the root of the negativity.

When I was obese, I really hated how I looked.  I was so self-conscious that I wouldn't let my picture be taken, especially not alone.  At my heaviest, I was tired all the time.  It was all I could do to just get through the day.  I worked hard at my job, but I didn't work out and I either starved myself or ate junk.  My self-image was in the hole.  When I started this journey, there was something different about where I was then, as compared to previous attempts to lose the weight.

The difference was that I was tired of feeling bad.  I was tired of having no joy.  I wanted to have my picture taken.  I wanted to look and feel happy.  I knew that no matter what it took, I was NOT going to give up.  There was NO way.  When I felt like quitting, which I did time and time again, I refused to quit.

I had a mantra I remember telling myself, "Tracey, you can do this.  You must believe in yourself.  You have to make this work."

Health and fitness is not a straight path.  Even once you think you've "arrived", there are detours (injuries, illness, grief, loss, changes in life) that affect your journey.  I continually reassess where I am, where I am going and what I want from this journey.

Here is the basic truth I hold onto:

I need to be healthy in order to be a better person for my family, friends and to do my job better. This means physical, mental and spiritual health and wellness.

In order for me to be healthy, I must find time to take care of myself. 
AND  
I really like how I feel when I work out.  I enjoy riding my bike, hiking, and working out.  These things make me happy.  
If I am happy, I can be a better wife, mother, daughter, friend and counselor.

So much of this journey is mindset.  Be cognizant of that.  Instead of feeling down about where you are today, turn this beginning into empowerment.
Tell yourself:
I am going to make this work!
I am so much  stronger than I even think I am.
No matter what, I am NOT giving up!


Feel the energy of this mantra.  Connect with it at an emotional level.
When you are feeling badly, remember the mantra.  Stick to what you started.

Beautiful by Christina Alguilera
You are beautiful!

Today is the beginning.  You are just getting started.
Life is an amazing blessing.  Make the most of it each day.  You are worth it!




Questions for you...(Answer in the comment section below.)
How are you feeling about your goals for this year?  Do you believe you can achieve them?  What steps are you taking to make them happen?


Are you up to speed on my series on wellness?  Check it out!
With Us
Worthwhile or Gimmick?
Three Years, Really?
No Time to Stretch!


Subscribe to new posts!  When a new post is added, you will receive an email notice so you can check it out.  I promise:  no SPAM and I won't share your email address with anyone.  Look at the top right side of the page to subscribe.  

Follow me...
Instagram:  @tracoleman99
Snapchat:  tracoleman993
Email:  tracoleman99@gmail.com





No comments:

Post a Comment