Monday, April 20, 2015

Ten

After months of trying, I FINALLY did three sets of 10 push-ups today!  I couldn't be happier.  I almost cried when it happened, but my excitement trumped the tears.  

When my trainer Mike died in November, I set push-ups as one of my goals.  He was always making me to do modified versions of them.  I hated them.  I would stand there tell him, "No.  I am not going to do that."  He would shake his head, point and say, "Yes, you got this."  The modified push-ups started on the TRX machine, then at a bar about waist high and eventually I graduated to a bench.  One of the last times I worked out with him, he tried to get me to do them on a BOSU ball and I said, "No way.  I can't do that."  I never dreamed I would be able to do actual push-ups.  I just did not think it was possible.

At my first session with Dmitriy, I told him about Mike making me do push-ups and that I really want to do "real" push-ups.  So Dmitriy put together a series of different routines to help me build my upper body strength.  When I got frustrated (which happened often), he switched things up for me, resulting in significant improvements.  In January when I was finally able to do two push-ups, I thought that was awesome.  In March, I got to five push-ups, which really got me charged up.  Two weeks ago I was finally able to do ten, but the goal all along, has been to do three sets of 10 push-ups.  Today that goal was realized.  I am so tickled!!!

Mike made me do it!
 Therefore you now have sorrow; but I will see you again and your heart will rejoice, and your joy no one will take from you.
John 16:22 NKJV

I miss Mike and sometimes I feel guilty for finding success with my fitness goals when he's no longer here with us.  Losing him really kicked me into gear.  I just hope Mike can see me and is saying, "Trace, you got this!  Good job!"  

Follow me on Instagram @tracoleman99

1 comment: