Monday, December 19, 2016

NOT a runner

Please pardon the interruption to my series on wellness for this news briefing.  I am sooooooooo excited to share this with you!!!!

Last Sunday I ran my very first 5K race.  Yep, my very first one!!!  It felt fantastic and I loved it.  Okay, so let me be honest.  I hate running.  It stinks.  But the feeling after you run is addicting.  The "Whomp!!!  You did it!  You kicked some serious @$$!!!!" feeling.  It's hard to describe, but it's a pure adrenaline rush.
Yeah me!!!  Time:  28:09   
There are a whole lot of reasons why I shouldn't run, the number one being that the orthopedic surgeon told me two years ago, "NO running!"  But I'm a bit of a rebel.  Since I hurt my shoulder, my training has been limited.  Then came in the "I'm going for a 'NOT' run" (as I would tell my husband).
I have arthritis in my left knee.  No torn meniscus.
The "NOT running" started last summer when I was doing interval training on the treadmill.  I walked for two minutes, then increased my pace to my maximum for one minute.  This maximum pace increased steadily to the point where I was running.  "One minute, it's not too bad."  Repeat this rotation for 24 minutes.  I loved increasing my speed on the treadmill each time.  Pushing my maximum effort to more than what I did before made me feel like I was accomplishing something.  And I sweat like crazy, which proved to me I was working hard.  I loved it.


drip,drip, drip
 Then I started run / walking outside.  Basically, I did the same thing as on the treadmill, only instead of timing it, I used driveways to mark my distance.  This was even harder.  Run:  "Try to get to the end of the street."  Walk.  "Breathe, catch your breath.  Breathe."  Run:  "Try to go a little further this time."
I even started running laps inside work on my late nights.
In November, I started running further distances without walking.  I started at one mile and worked my way up a little bit gradually.  And then I ran my first 5K race.  Yeah!!!  So psyched!!!
Our Team
So, why run?  Why go against the doctor's orders?   Here's the thing, I am by NO means telling you to go against your doctor's orders.  Not by any means.  Two years ago I weighed 50 lbs. more than I do now.  I was no where near as strong as I am today.  Not by a long shot.  Not only that, I am a lot smarter about my own abilities and my own body.  I recently saw a segment on The Doctors about this woman with MS who is running 7 marathons on 7 continents.  If she can do that, I can certainly run a 5K.  (Woman with MS to Run 7 Marathons on 7 Continents.)  So, I took a calculated risk and so far it's come up okay.
Don't you just LOVE the pink headband with the cranberry shirt?
If my knee is wobbly or achey, I don't run.  Running is nothing like riding my bike. But it's too cold to ride  my bike and the roads are a mess due to the recent snow we've had.  So...this lets me push myself.  And...even though I hate it while I'm doing it, I like the way I feel after I run.

Sweat man...nothing like a good run to majorly sweat!
Questions for you...
Do you run?  
Do you want to run?  
Do you think you could ever do a 5K?  Do you wish you could?  
Send me an email and I'll give you some tips on how to get started.  I am NO expert, not at all, but having JUST started, I can tell you what worked and did not work for me.'

Are you up to speed on my series on wellness?  Check it out!

Subscribe to new posts!  When a new post is added, you will receive an email notice so you can check it out.  I promise:  no SPAM and I won't share your email address with anyone.  Look at the top right side of the page to subscribe.  

Follow me...
Instagram:  @tracoleman99
Snapchat:  tracoleman993
Email:  tracoleman99@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment