Wednesday, December 7, 2016

On Friendship

Instead of being a joyful season, I used to find this time of year actually sucked the joy right out of me.  That has improved as my kids have gotten older and life has settled down somewhat.

To continue with my series on wellness, I want to share a brief meditation I hope will boost your morale / spirits.  This week I want to focus on friendship.

One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
Proverbs 18:24

I have found that true friendship is hard to come by and is a precious gift to treasure.  There are different types of friends ... friends for a lifetime or a season ... confidants ... those you enjoy spending time with ... those you trust with your darkest secrets and those you go to for advice.  The best ones are those who listen to you without judgment.

Over the past six months, I have been struggling with the loss of a friend.  The pain is deep and often cuts to the core.  Just when I think I've got it under control, a wave of grief passes over me and I just want to cry.  There are not too many people I can talk to about it.  In fact, I don't really want to talk to people about it.  I just want my friend back.  (I wrote about this here:  How long does it take to heal a broken heart?)

That said, today I talked to Erica and she heard me.  I told her that I need my brain to shut off, so that at 1:30 a.m. when I can't sleep, I'm not wrought with grief that shakes me for the rest of the day.  She gave me some good advice, some things I need to just say to myself over and over.  She can't know how much she helped me.  She is the kind of friend I want to keep forever.

I love this girl!  She's my person.
Recently I made a new friend.  Her name is Lidiya.  Lidiya is probably one of the nicest people I have ever met.  Being around her and talking to her makes you want to be a better person.  We walk together twice a week and talk about everything.  I mean everything.  I am so glad she is in my life.

Lidiya invited me to the Bible Truck Exhibit at her church last month.  They had a photo booth and we posed for a couple pictures they used to make a bookmark souvenir for us. 
As you rush through the next few weeks, take some time to appreciate your friends.  Who are the people you trust most?  Who listens to you when you feel like you're out of your mind?  Who makes you want to be a better you?  Write them a note.  Tell them what they mean to you.  Give them a hug and thank them for being there.  Say a prayer for them.
Count on Me by Bruno Mars

Occasionally I talk to people who tell me they don't really have any friends.  If this is the case, I suggest you seek out at least one person and try to cultivate that relationship.  If you are a super busy mom or dad, driving your kids all around, try to befriend the parents of your kids' friends.  It could be a text message that says, "What are you doing this weekend?  Do you want to grab lunch?  Coffee?"  Don't just say, "We should get together sometime."  Do it. Set a date and stick to it.  It can take time to see if you're a good fit together.  It's worth the investment.  It is.

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: 
If either of them falls down, one can help the other up.  But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up.
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

Life is precious.  Friendship is a valuable treasure to hold onto.


Read more from my series on wellness

Questions for you...
Do you have at least one person you can talk to, who will hear you and listen to you without judgment?  Who is that person?  Write him/her a note today.

Subscribe to new posts!  When a new post is added, you will receive an email notice so you can check it out.  I promise:  no SPAM and I won't share your email address with anyone.  Look at the top right side of the page to subscribe.  

Follow me...
Instagram:  @tracoleman99
Snapchat:  tracoleman993
Email:  tracoleman99@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment