Sunday, April 24, 2016

Big Occasions

April marks the beginning of a series of "Big Events" in my household.  My husband and I celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary last week.  It's hard to believe we have been together so long.  I used to believe in soul mates, and then when we went through a rough patch earlier in our marriage, I thought that was just nonsense talk.  At this point in our marriage, I can say he is my soul mate.  I can't imagine my life without him.  He knows how I am feeling just by the sound of my voice or the way I walk into a room.  Sometimes I'll say to him, "Stop invading my privacy, I really just want to be in a bad mood without anyone knowing it."  And he'll respond, "I'm sorry if I know how my wife is feeling after all these years."  And we laugh.  He is my heart.


Today is my son, Joey's 18th Birthday.  I cannot believe he is 18 years old.  Seriously, where did the time go?  He's not a kid anymore.  I remember the day he was born like it was yesterday.


With so much celebrating, combined with the pressure of finishing my degree, it's been a consistent food fest.  Despite the ice cream cake we will have tonight for dessert, I am renewing my focus on balancing my nutrition.  

I am finding that I have a tendency to eat when I'm not even hungry, which is dangerous.  My choices at that time are never smart.  For part of my food prep today, I am going to peel some carrots and set aside some carrot sticks for the munchies (I've been preferring carrot sticks to baby carrots lately...go figure?).  It's no where near as good as the ice cream I want to eat, but there is a sweetness to the carrots and a bulk to them that keeps me from reaching for the cookie jar.  It's a matter of discipline.
I've also been chewing sugarless gum like crazy lately.  That keeps my mouth busy and helps my need to have something sweet in my mouth.  The journey is a constant learning process.  Just when you think you've got it, a curve ball comes your way and you find what was working, no longer works, and you have to readjust.  The key to success is perseverance, working through the trials, and never, ever throwing in the towel.  Learning to have your cake and eat it too is probably a much bigger challenge than learning to say no to the cake.

Happy 18th Birthday, Joey!  I love you!  You are the sunshine in each day.

We went for hike yesterday with our new puppy Leia and my godson, Sam.  This was Leia's first hike and she was tuckered out afterwards!!  Joey is a wonderful hiking companion.
Questions for you:  (Answer in the comments below.)
Do you have anything exciting happening this year?  
What's your favorite kind of Birthday cake?


Now:  Subscribe to new posts!  When a new post is added, you will receive an email notice so you can check it out.  I promise:  no SPAM and I won't share your email address with anyone.  Look at the top right side of the page to subscribe.  

Follow me...
Twitter:  @TraceyFit99
Instagram:  @tracoleman99
Snapchat:  tracoleman993





No comments:

Post a Comment