Sunday, August 16, 2015

Shake It Off

Something happened a few weeks ago that has been like sand in my shoe.  I've been trying not to think about it.  When you were fat as long as I was and you finally feel physically healthy and positive about yourself, negative comments can bring you down if you let them.

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
1 Peter 5:7

Last week was particularly stressful.  Lots of driving and horrible traffic on the Massachusetts Turnpike on Sunday, followed by a week of sitting, glued to my laptop until all hours of the night so I could finish the master schedule for school.  Uggh.

But there were some amazing highlights...

First, we went white-water rafting on the Deerfield River on Wednesday.  I took a day off from work (and scheduling hell) and spent it with my family to tick something off my bucket list.  White water rafting has always been a dream of mine, but I have always been a little afraid to do it.  We went on the beginners' route, which was relatively calm.  I had a blast!!!!  We will definitely go again, and I'm hoping for something more advanced because the more intense rapids made it a lot more enjoyable.

I'd been working around the clock on the schedule, so we were running "On Time" to get to our rafting tour.  He wanted to be early and was sooooo annoyed with me.  This is me just being goofy.  We had an amazing time!
Bucket list - Check!
 Second, I had posted "What NO ONE tells you about weight loss", Parts ONE and TWO last week and had a lot of positive feedback from people about it.  I wrote in Part One that losing weight is expensive, but worth it and a friend from church asked me if I'd like any of her vegetables from her garden.  "Absolutely!"  On Thursday night, after a particularly stressful day, she stopped over with bags of vegetables and a dozen eggs and homemade yogurt from her farm animals.  I nearly cried.  What an unbelievable blessing!!!  I can't begin tell you what that did for me.

This:  Jackie is such a blessing!!!
By that point, my anxiety about finishing the schedule for school was through the roof.  There were so many dangling pieces that I really didn't think I'd be able to tie them all up and I was beginning to feel defeated.  Friday was my deadline.  EVERYTHING was getting to me and I was starting to snap at everyone (over really nothing).

Third, Friday night I got together with some of my classmates from the program I am in for my CAGS (a second Masters' degree).  We promised to get together during our class in June and Friday was the night.  We drove to Barre, which is in East Cupcake (I'm sure you know where that is) and had a lovely evening visiting and reconnecting with each other.  It was exactly what I needed. 

Friendship is so important.  They carry you through the difficult times.  I love these ladies!
Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor:  if either of them falls down, one can help the other up.  But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up.
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

Then, I had a restful Saturday.  I missed THREE days at the gym last week, which is unheard of for me.  So I spent a LONG time working out and walked home from the gym.  Our microwave bit the dust, so we took advantage of Massachusetts' Tax Free weekend and got a new one.  I got my nails done and then I went for a quick ride on my bike (I hadn't been out all week because of the stupid schedule).  It's getting dark earlier, so it was only about 25 miles, but I am excited because my speed is increasing and I was averaging 16-17 MPH until the end when my hip started cramping up.  Came home, had dinner and crashed.  Slept until after 6 a.m., which was great because I fell back to sleep after my 2:30 insomnia wake up.

I love to ride by this farm.  Last night the horses were right out near the road and I felt like they were talking to me.  I tried to video them, but I couldn't quite capture it.  I grew up in the city, so I'm not much of a country girl.  You horse lovers would probably tell me that they were talking to me.  They are so beautiful!  
And lastly, I was so busy all week that I didn't really have time to think about it until yesterday...my trainer Dmitriy posted a picture of me on Instagram last week.  When I got to thinking about it, I really got choked up.  I've been feeling agitated all week about the schedule, the "sand in my shoe" incident (above) was annoying me under the surface, and I gained three pounds!  To say I was frustrated is an understatement.  Yesterday I sat down and wrote about my journey, how I got started and used the progress picture he posted.  You can read that here:  "Getting Started."  Reflection is important for growth.  When you struggle or fail along the way, you need to step back and think about what you can do about it.  Looking at my pictures, thinking about my journey, I was able to realize that one bad week will not derail me.  

I am not defeated.  And as far as the sand in my shoe.  I'm just going to Shake It Off!!!


The haters gonna hate
I'm just gonna shake it off...
I never miss a beat...
I'm lightening on my feet.
That's what they don't see.
I'm dancing on my own.
I'll make the moves up as I go.
That's what they don't know.
But I keep cruising.
Can't stop, won't stop grooving
It's like I got this music in my mind
Saying, "It's gonna be all right."

A final shout out to the people who helped me get through the week:  
  • My husband, for putting up with me all week while I was so cranky!
  • My son, Mitch, for taking Dad to his medical procedure so I could finish the schedule.
  • Erica, without you, the schedule would NEVER have been done.  Thank you, I love you!!!  You are amazing and I so need your second set of eyes.
  • Maria, for helping me to check off a bucket list item.
  • Jackie, for being so generous and blessing me with all those farm fresh veggies, eggs and yogurt.  You are awesome!
  • Cyndi (for listening to my sand in the shoe strory), Antigony and Abbie, for being at the right place at the right time on Friday!!!  We really have to make a point to get together again, especially when our program is done.
  • Dmitriy, for making me feel good about myself when I wasn't feeling it.
I thank my God every time I remember you.  In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy.
Philippians 1: 3-4

Follow me on Instagram @tracoleman99 

Let me ask you:  
When something goes wrong, how do you shake it off?  
How did you spend your weekend?
Leave your comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment