Sunday, August 23, 2015

Happy

Time Hop, either you love it or you hate it.  Sometimes, I get tired of the notifications on my phone reminding me to check it...and then sometimes when I do check it, I either am filled with a sense of nostalgia or I want to cry or cringe.  Last week I saw the picture on the left on TimeHop from four years ago and I had to do a double take.  I guess I'm used to seeing the new me in the mirror, so it's still strange to see the old me.  I shouldn't be so surprised when people ask me what happened or how I did it.

I still surprise myself.
In responding to my Facebook friends' comments,  I realize that I am happy.  I think I've always been a relatively happy person. With the weight, I had aches and pains.  I was in pain just about 24 hours / day, 7 days / week.  I remember so clearly waking up in the middle of the night this past Christmas with incredible pain in my left knee.  My hips ached almost all the time.  Sometimes the pain would be in my lower back, my shoulders, or my neck.  I just did not feel well.  Add to that, I wasn't really happy with the way I looked, which affected how I felt about myself.

As a Christian, I know that true joy does not come from your outward appearance.  These things are temporal.  True joy and peace is found in relationship with God.

For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
Romans 14:17

That said, being a Christian does not make up for being overweight.  I was carrying around an extra 80 lbs., working long hours, eating a completely unbalanced diet.  I was a complete couch potato at home and I physically felt horrible, which affected everything else.

Fast forward...

I can't really put my finger on the day or time when it happened.  But I can say, I truly am happy.  I no longer suffer from chronic pain.  I'm not tired all the time.  I have energy.  I enjoy life.  I want to be very clear.  I don't attribute the joy or happiness to being thin.  It's not a perfect body I seek.  This journey has given me a new lease on life.  And for that, I am grateful.

Grateful for those who have helped, and sacrificed along the way, most of all for my husband and my trainers.  My husband is the love of my life.  He has loved and encouraged me for nearly 25 years, through the good and the bad, whether I was fat or thin.  Mike...Yesterday would have been his 25th Birthday.  I would give anything for him to be here to see me now, to know how much he inspired me.  Dmitriy...whose support and friendship have been immeasurable.  Words just are not enough.  Most of all, I am grateful to the Lord for all He has done, for allowing me this second chance in life.  To Him be all the glory!

Though you have not seen him, you love him.  Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory.
1 Peter 1:8

Follow me on Instagram @tracoleman99

Let me ask you, what makes you HAPPY?
Does your physical health affect your ability to be joyful?
What is keeping you from living a healthy lifestyle?
Answer in the comment section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment