Saturday, December 26, 2015

My Favorite Day of the Year

So, it's true, December 26 is my favorite day of the year.  As hard as I tried this year to REALLY enjoy the holidays, to take time to find the Christmas spirit, to enjoy the gatherings and time with family . . . I am so glad it's over.

Today is my annual recovery day.  I tried to sleep in, but that didn't work.  So, by 8:00 a.m., I was at the gym and doing legs.  I hurt my back about three weeks ago (A Step Back) and recovery has been SLOW.  I haven't been able to do much of anything and I lost a lot of my strength.  Not sure how much that's due to eating crap for the past month too.  Anyway, today I did squats and was able to get close to my personal record (145 lbs.).  I worked my way up to two sets at 135# and was super excited too!

After the gym, I visited a friend, came home, had a snack and took a two hour nap.  Got up from my nap, made two pots of chili.  One is typical beef chili, the other is a white turkey chili.  I'm headed out hiking in a minute or two if I can upload this blog entry in time.

I need to get some kale to put in my white chili, but I'm so looking forward to this for dinner tonight!  With some home made cornbread..

Thought I'd tell you about our holidays via photo blog, so here it is...

The day of Christmas Eve was spent cleaning and I got to the gym for a quick foam rolling and cardio workout.  My back was really bothering me, I think from sitting on the floor wrapping presents for two nights in a row.

My friend Erica texted me at like 10 a.m. to ask me if I was at the gym.  I was like, "Umm, no, I'm cleaning.  Here's the evidence."  Apparently she thought she saw my car, but it was in the garage and I was busy dusting and vacuuming.
My way of cleaning up is to put everything in a pile and then stuff it all in a bag. I did ask my husband to help with this pile.
Got to the gym at 2 in time for foam rolling and 30 minutes on the elliptical.  Foam rolling has saved me the past three weeks while I recover from my back injury.
Quote from Dmitriy, "Foam rolling is life."  I agree.
We went to church on Christmas Eve and then to my sister-in-law's.  She puts on an amazing feast.  She is a wonderful hostess.
This is a before dress that I had taken in.  Dmitriy's mother did it for me.  Isn't her work absolutely amazing?  She's really really sweet too.  I told him that she's my new favorite person.  I don't have room for one more, so he's out and she's in.  He laughed.  I do really like her.  She is a beautiful person inside and out.  And I absolutely LOVE my dress.

Look at her Christmas tree.  It's breathtaking.
My niece and nephew are the cutest little kids I've ever laid eyes on.
Brian and his partner, Karen.  Karen is like a sister to me.  She's part of the family.
My niece Jill and Joey
Joey helping Josh with his toys.  This is an annual tradition.
My niece Kara
I am an early riser, so on Christmas morning, I took Koby for a walk.  I think I was overly excited about the warm weather because I left with just a sweatshirt on, took a loop around the block and came back to put a jacket on and my mittens.  Got in 3 miles.  It was awesome.

Breakfast and opening presents
French Toast Casserole.  
I had two servings.  It was soooo good.
Danish from Costco.  This is an annual tradition.  I had half a piece this morning.  
Joey plays Santa.  He gets all the gifts from under the tree and hands them out one at a time to everyone.
Brian and I don't exchange gifts because it's too stressful for me.  We get each other gifts throughout the year, but I can't deal with it at Christmas.  So we each get a little gift.  I got him this Ride to Remember polo.  He likes it.
One of the hazards of losing weight is your clothes don't fit.  My winter coat from last year is so big on me that it looks like a tent on me and the cold air goes up into the jacket.  So, I bought myself a North Face.  I can't wait 'til it's cold enough to wear.
So at about age 10 or 11, Mitch stopped wearing a winter coat or jacket.  Now that he's a grown up and it's COLD in New England, he actually needs a jacket and will wear one.  I got him this.  It's white, so I'm hoping it doesn't get too dirty.
Me and Mitch 
My mother-in-law has dementia and is in a nursing home.  We went to visit her on Christmas morning.  She liked her presents.
 Christmas dinner 
Dad & Joey
My BFF Stacy and her mom, Shirley
My godson, Sam, my Great-Aunt Gloria and my cousin, Whitney
Christmas night we went to see the new Star Wars movie.  I loved it!
After the movie, we saw this crazy VW Bug in the parking lot.  How in the world does this thing even drive?  Does it even have tires?  Or is it driving on the rims?  Crazy things you see on Christmas, that's for sure.
 Merry Christmas!!!!  
Happy December 26th, my favorite day of the year!!

Feliz Navidad by Jose Feliciano
Brian's favorite Christmas carol

Questions for you: 
(Answer in the comment section below.)
Was Santa good to you?

Now:  Subscribe to new posts!  When a new post is added, you will receive an email notice so you can check it out.  I promise:  no SPAM and I won't share your email address with anyone.  Look at the top right side of the page to subscribe.  

Follow me on Instagram:  @tracoleman99

No comments:

Post a Comment