Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Self Control

Sometime between October and December 5, my ability to say, "No," to certain foods diminished significantly.  I mean, okay, have a treat here or there, but the problem is one serving is not enough.

It started when Monica from Run Eat Repeat posted this amazing recipe for pumpkin granola that called for raisins and a bunch of different kinds of nuts.  Raisins.  I love raisins!  And hey, they're natural food, right?  So they can't be bad?  From that day on, I have been struggling with walking away from foods I shouldn't eat, portion control and night time eating.
Raisins!!!!!  Look, it even says, "100% Natural."
After Thanksgiving, I realized I need to be more serious about eating cleaner, to be more faithful to my nutritional plan and to do more cardio (which is harder for me now that it's too cold to ride my bike).
It's hard to see here, but I was dripping in sweat this afternoon after my workout.  I did some pressing and then 35 minutes on the elliptical.  I was soaked.
Typically, Monday - Friday are my best days until I pick my son up from swimming.  That's when the battle within begins. He brings a protein bar, trail mix and water or Gatorade to practice every day. I pick him up and he has the bag of trail mix... m&m's, peanuts and (of course) raisins. My weakness through and through!
Tuesday night's dinner.  It was delicious and healthy!
This Monday was a great day (nutritionally) all day until I was making my lunch for Tuesday and saw the trail mix on the counter...I ate a handful which ended up being the rest of the bag, probably two cups full.  Tuesday was an even better day nutritionally all day until I saw the trail mix again and grabbed a handful, then another, then a third.  What is wrong with me?

I made him hide the trail mix in his room.  Of course, I could find it if I wanted to (like I did to take the picture), but I really try to respect my kids' privacy and it makes me crazy to go into their messy rooms.  With this on the counter and in sight, I really can't resist it.
Two years into this journey and the struggle continues.  

When you have a family who eats ice cream, cookies and candy (some of them can eat that stuff and others should avoid it), it's very hard to have that kind of food in the house at all.  I did figure out how to deal with the ice cream...I buy Skinny Cows and keep them in the freezer in the basement.  For cookies, I buy Oreos, which are crunchy and I really don't care one way or another for them.  But the candy is truly a weakness, especially chocolate.  I probably should not even buy it ... OR raisins.

I am not beating myself up about this.  However, I do acknowledge the weakness.  I need to be mindful, so I don't get lazy or take my nutrition for granted.  I have gained a few pounds since the beginning of November.  While I am still within range for my weight, but I know the slope can be extremely slippery.  So this is not the time to get sloppy.

I'm trying to get back into the swing of scrap booking again.  I bought this paper with this saying on it and I thought it was perfect.  Think about where you are on your journey.  Don't compare yourself to others who started before you.  Yes, use them as a motivation that you too can accomplish the impossible.  But the journey is long and most definitely worth the struggle.
Practicing self-control is an ongoing battle.  It is a struggle within.  It is the fight worth fighting for.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?  Run in such a way as to get the prize.  Everyone who competes in the game goes into strict training.  They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.  Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air.  No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.
1 Corinthians 9:24-27
Soldier's Silent Night
I heard this song for the first time tonight.  As we are safely at home, decorating, baking and preparing for Christmas...let's not forget the sacrifice made by soldiers who lie sleeping, silent and alone on other parts of the planet, away from their loved ones.  Say a prayer for them tonight.  For peace on earth, good will towards men.

Looking for some new holiday recipes to try?  Check these out here:  My Favorite Recipes
More coming this week!

Questions for you: (Answer in the comment section below.)
What food is your biggest weakness?
What Christmas carol is most nostalgic for you?

Now:  Subscribe to new posts!  When a new post is added, you will receive an email notice so you can check it out.  I promise:  no SPAM and I won't share your email address with anyone.  Look at the top right side of the page to subscribe.  


Follow me on Instagram:  @tracoleman99



No comments:

Post a Comment