Monday, December 28, 2015

Blessings

Blessings come in all shapes, sizes and different kinds of surprises.

From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another.
John 1:16

Yesterday promised to be particularly difficult. I wasn't feeling well in the morning. (I think my coffee didn't sit right.) Anyway, I worked out at the gym and saw Dmitriy there shortly before I was leaving. We talked for a couple minutes, but I had to leave because I had a wake to attend. One of my former students died the week before Christmas unexpectedly. She was just shy of her 22nd birthday. I was so sad.

Went to the wake. It was as I expected. Extremely sad. There is no logical reason for her death, so trying to rationalize it only proves to frustrate. I left and was so down. I texted Dmitriy, "That was horrible." Turns out he knew her and trained her. What a small world. I wanted to cry.

I was invited to a Christmas party last night. Some friends I met at the gym. Lovely people. Truly. Their daughter is my student and I have a soft spot for her.  I wasn't sure I could go. I wanted to open a bottle of wine, drink the entire thing and cry myself to sleep. (This is particularly NOT smart for me!)  Told Dmitriy that and he was like, "Go. Have fun. Go." Somehow I saw his logic and I went.  I'm really glad I did.

So...the party was amazing. Lots of delicious Puerto Rican foods, plenty of beer and Coqui for everyone, and the most amazing band playing Spanish music. I didn't know any of the songs, so it was an great opportunity for me to sit back and feel the music.

Feel the music


I think the instrument he is playing is called "el guiro."  It's a percussion style instrument.


Even the children were playing one.
 One of the things I love about Puerto Rican people is they know how to party! I mean, there were so many people in their house and everyone was having the most amazing time, dancing, singing along and clapping.  While my heart was still heavy, my spirit lifted and I felt joy.

¡Wepa!* They just kept playing one song after another.  It was an amazing night!


So, you know the movie, "White Men Can't Jump"?  Well, this white girl can't dance.  I wish I could because I'm so jealous of those who have rhythm.  Look at these ladies dance it up!  "¡Wepa!*


I had the most amazing time and am pleased to count the Davilas among my new friends. They are beautiful people.
Vicky & Nelson Davila
My new friends ... a true blessing to me
Take time to appreciate your blessings. Sometimes they come in unexpected form.

People from the gym that were at the Davilas.  New friends in the making.
*Wepa is a Spanish term of excitement.  It loosely means, "All right!  Cool! Yeah!"

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace."
Numbers 6:24-26

Question for you: 
(Answer in the comment section below.)
What fun things did you do this weekend?

Now:  Subscribe to new posts!  When a new post is added, you will receive an email notice so you can check it out.  I promise:  no SPAM and I won't share your email address with anyone.  Look at the top right side of the page to subscribe.  

Follow me on Instagram:  @tracoleman99

No comments:

Post a Comment