Sunday, November 29, 2015

Being True to Yourself

Nearly two years ago, this was me:

So, you want to lose weight? You want to get in shape?  You want to change your lifestyle?
You pick (or don't pick) out a nutrition plan, decide to go to the gym.
A year later, things are progressing, but you're not where you want to be.
You make additional adjustments, ramp up your game, completely change your nutrition and a few months later, you are a new person.

Left:  Me in August, 2013
Right:  Me in October, 2015
The new me...
I have become a bit of a gym rat.  I love working out.  I love lifting weights.
I found a new passion in riding my bike.  This fall, every nice day has become, "This could be the last day I ride my bike."  And then there's another day, and another.  It's been awesome.
I renewed my passion for hiking and have ventured out on some new trails, climbing some new mountains.
I am somewhat religious about my eating habits (although I have really been slacking off lately).
I read blogs about health, fitness and cycling daily.
Yesterday, I took a 5 mile walk and I thought to myself, "Who are you and what happened to the old Tracey?"  It made me think, "Am I being true to myself?"


I guess the new me has new priorities.  I would no longer classify myself as a workaholic.  I now recognize poor nutritional choices as that and don't beat myself up about them.  Last Wednesday and Thursday I was way over my calories and then Friday was a complete debacle.  Yesterday and today were new days and I ate as clean and healthy as I know how to eat.  I was under my calories without cheating.  I drank a ton of water.  It felt good to be back on track.

This is me at the finish line of the Ride to Remember in September
Photo by K&M Photography
So, to answer my question, I think I am true to myself.  While my priorities have changed, I don't see myself as being fake or phony.  I'm not pretending.  I'm not doing this for anyone but me.  And THAT is why I know my journey is a lifetime commitment.  Yes, I will have bad days or bad weeks.  Yes, I will eat apple pie and too much from time to time.  But I know I have the skills to recognize what is happening and put the pieces back together.

I feel like this is a major triumph on my journey.

Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established.
Proverbs 16:3

I am so looking forward to the road before me.  Not to rush the path, but to see what's around the corner and take on new challenges and adventures.  This is how I know I am being true to myself.

As you look towards the end of 2015, are you thinking about what you want to change in your life?  I am living proof that New Year's resolutions do work if you stick with them.  So, as December approaches, have you contemplated any New Year's resolutions?  Do you want your health and fitness to improve?  Do you need to lose weight?  Do you want to run your first 5K?  Do you want to ride your first Century bike ride?  Do you want to quit smoking?  Quit drinking?  Quit gambling?  Do you need to make changes in your relationships?  In your career?  In your finances?

I challenge you to NOT wait until January 1 to get started.  Today is the ONE day you can control.  Today is the day.  Develop a plan as to how you will accomplish your goal.  Create a mantra (the dialogue you will have with yourself) to keep your level of commitment.  The first few days, week or month are the easiest because your motivation is high.  It's what comes later that truly tests you.  For me, I had to tell myself over and over, "You have to figure this out.  You can't be a quitter."

Here's to December, to 2016, to new beginnings, to being true to yourself.

Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own.  Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own.  But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:12-14

Check out my series:  What Matters Most
Part One      Part Two       Part Three       Part Four

Question for you: (Answer in the comment section below.)
What goals do you have for 2016?  What's stopping you from working on them now?

Now:  Subscribe to new posts!  When a new post is added, you will receive an email notice so you can check it out.  I promise:  no SPAM and I won't share your email address with anyone.  Look at the top right side of the page to subscribe.  


Follow me on Instagram:  @tracoleman99




No comments:

Post a Comment