Sunday, March 29, 2020

Koby Update

Let's talk about Koby! 

Princess Leia steals the spotlight and the camera.  She is four years old, very cuddly and still full of spit and vinegar.   She is my constant companion.



Working from home means every day is now "Bring Your Dog to Work Day"

At my feet during a Zoom meeting

Today is Day 13 of my Coronavirus Isolation marathon.   Today's post will be about our "Old Man" Koby.  I recently shared a story about his boo boo paw: Coronavirus Staycation: Day 1.   Koby is our 13 year old German Shepherd.  Last week, he lost one of his front claws.   It was a mess!   Here is an update on how he's doing.

Sleeping Beauties (Koby in front, Leia behind)

In June, Koby will be 14 years old.   That's old for a German Shepherd.  The progression of time has taken a toll on him.  He has trouble hearing and suffers from night time blindness.   His rear legs don't fully cooperate with his will to play.  But, boy does he still love to play!

Every setback with Koby is a reality check for me and a difficult conversation with my family.  "Koby is getting older, we need to talk about ..."  So last week, after Koby saw the vet, Dr. Crosson prescribed antibiotics for the boo boo paw and added gabapentin to help Koby feel better.  As his paw has healed, we can see he is definitely feeling better.  With the warmer spring weather, he spends hours outside and enjoys "alone time" without Leia to pester him.

I had to call Dr. Crosson this week for a check-in and to discuss next steps.  And so I took the brave step and had the difficult conversation with him.  "Koby will be 14 in June, Doc.  It's hard to tell you how he's doing because I know these are his last days.  What I don't know is when the time is..."

Dr. Crosson is such a nice man.  He is so kind and cares so much about our pets.  He tells it the way it is, but is kind at the same time.  I trust him.

So when he and I talked on the phone, I really listened to him.  Dr. Crosson laid out all the scenarios and basically told me that whatever we choose, there is not a wrong decision.  He did a quality of life assessment for Koby over the phone.  Long story short is that Koby is still enjoying life.  He loves to play and still gets excited when we come home (although we are home 24/7 these days).  Caring for him has not become a burden.   We have had to learn his cues when he needs to go out because if we don't pay attention, he does have an accident in the house.  But these are rare.  Even though walking is more difficult for him, he does get around.  He is still enjoying life.   

So, with that, we have decided that now is the time for Koby to enjoy life as much as he can.  Whatever makes him happy, we will accommodate.  I ordered him some CBD Oil chews from Ellevet.  Apparently in Massachusetts, veterinarians can't prescribe CBD oil for animals, but some of his clients have seen significant improvement their pets' mobility, so we will give it a try.  

I also ordered him some pill pouches for the gabapentin.  
Taking medicine should not be traumatic for our pets.   With these, it's like giving him a treat instead!

Snapshot Update

I was able to get some toilet paper at Costco yesterday.   My friend Giselle sent me a text at 10:52 a.m. with a picture of fully stocked pallets of Charmin.  I didn't see it until 1:30 p.m, but we ventured out anyway.  Score!

We celebrated my cousin Jake's 30th Birthday last night on Zoom.   My parents tried to join us, but that didn't go so well.  Let's just say Amazon has a camera and microphone on its way...

Yesterday was pretty much a do nothing day.  Our school librarian sent out a link to SCRIBD, a free online library.   (Free for 30 days, anyway.)  I downloaded the app and set myself up with an account.  There are sooo many books from which to choose.  I didn't know where to start, so I picked one out and started reading.
"An unforgettable love story about finding joy even in the darkest of circumstances."

Yesterday morning, I laid in bed all morning to finish the book.  All morning in bed.   I don't know when the last time was I just read.
Let's be clear about something.  I don't read.  I mean, I know how to read.  But I just don't.  Growing up, I hated "forced reading" so much that it completely soured me.  In 2014 I went back to school to get my CAGS in School Administration (which I earned in 2016) and completely stopped reading for pleasure.  Times have changed, though.   So I decided to make the most of it.   I liked the book.  I could relate to the character.  It made me cry.  It was somewhat therapeutic. 

Today's Meditations

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7 ESV


Joy by for King & Country

The video starts with an eery prediction of our "current situation."   There is a news broadcast of Mega Storm Hercules...the "storm" of the century, which has completely paralyzed our nation.   Substitute Coronavirus Pandemic and it feels all too familiar.
Verse 1:   Lately I've been reeling, watching the nightly news
Don't seem to find the rhythm, just wanna sing the blues
Feels like a song that never stops
Feels like it's never gonna...

Chorus:   Oh, hear my prayer tonight, I'm singing to the sky
Give me strength to raise my voice, let me testify
Oh, hear my prayer tonight, 'cause this is do or die
The time has come to make a choice
And I choose joy
Let it move you, let it move you
Yeah, I choose joy
Let it move you, let it move you, let it move you.


How are you and your family dealing with this pandemic?
Feel free to share your updates with me, either in the comments or by message.

My daily posts since my "Coronavirus Staycation" began:
Day 1:  Boo boo paw
Day 2:  Let the projects begin
Day 3:  A photo journal
Day 4:  Love wins
Finally Saturday:  It's starting to get to me
The Long Haul:  Be strong & courageous
Who Made the Clouds?  Day 7
Time Out:  Day 8
Fever, Cough & Shortness of Breath (Day 9)
May 4:   Days 10, 11 & 12

   

1 comment:

  1. Good read. Thanks again. I listen avidly to audio books, especially when I am out walking or when I'm cooking.

    ReplyDelete