Friday, March 27, 2020

May 4

This week all "this" became real.  On Wednesday, Governor Charlie Baker announced that schools in Massachusetts will be closed until May 4.
May 4
He. said. May 4.   May 4.

If that wasn't bad enough, yesterday the Red Sox posted this on their Instagram account.
I read the entire post to Brian (he doesn't really do social media).  As I read it, I started to lose it.  Tears over baseball.   I don't really even like Baseball.  In fact, I tell most people that I'm a "baseball widow" because Brian watches every Sox game.  Every game.  Yet here I am, crying over the loss of Opening Day.

It's all just too much for me.

The Olympics is postponed until 2021.  School is cancelled until May 4 (possibly later).  Opening Day is cancelled.  Will the season be cancelled?  Oh, yeah and on St. Patrick's Day, Tom Brady announced he is leaving the Patriots.  I know that was last week, but still.   It's all just too much.


So, today is Day 12 of my "Coronavirus Staycation."  It's also the last time I will call it a "Staycation" because, if you haven't noticed, I haven't been posted anything since Wednesday.  Now that school is closed indefinitely (or at least until May 4), our district is in full drive.  It's no longer just emails to answer and an occasional report to file, it's a full blown effort for everyone to figure out how to provide the students we serve with the education they deserve.  There are so many questions and we are all just trying to figure it out.

Moving forward, I will continue to post updates, probably not as often.  But I won't be calling "this" a "staycation" anymore.

May 4.   School is closed until May 4.  (Maybe longer?)

Is there hope in the madness?

So while the world seems to be spinning out of control, how do you find hope?  How do you smile when everything is bleak?  Since the coronavirus scare started, before it was categorized as a Pandemic, I've consistently said "Let's just focus on today and not worry about tomorrow.   Tomorrow has enough of it's own worries."   This is loosely based on the words of Christ from the book of Matthew.   Yesterday I was reminded of these words when my church posted this on their Facebook page:  

"Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not of more value than they?  
But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.  
"Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself.   Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."
Matthew 6:26, 33-34

For me, when "all of this" starts getting to me, I realize that it's okay to feel the feeling and acknowledge the loss.   But to be careful to not dwell on it.  And to be grateful.   Grateful for all I do have.  Good health.  A job where I can continue to work.   Long walks with Leia.  Spring.  My family.   My friends.  

By the way, I really could use a hug.

Speaking of being grateful...  
I found these under the bathroom sink.  Score!

Laundry:  The Neverending Story.

What happens when you don't fold or put the laundry away for two days.

  All folded.  (Full disclosure, it's still not put away!)


Speaking of the Never Ending Story

I saw this on Facebook the other day, so I played along.  I looked it up and it's "Endless Love" by Lionel Richie and Diana Ross.  Someone commented, "Are you sure it's not more like the theme song from the Never Ending Story?"  Laughter is the best medicine.

This video will MOST definitely make you laugh:
Hello (from the Inside) An Adele Parody by Chris Mann

Scenes from my walks with Leia

Waiting patiently for Momma
I try to find something unique in every walk.   Just some yard lights we noticed the other night.
A very gnarly tree
Walks with Dad & Newbie.   (Cautionary note: Dad & I  are practicing full social distancing on our walks.)

Right now, for the students across the nation, I am praying that school does resume on May 4.  While we all wait patiently, try to remember it's Star Wars Day!

Meditation for Today

This was the Abide meditation in my email on Thursday.  
Click on the image for a 3:48 meditation of hope.
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
Hebrews 13:8



How are you and your family dealing with this pandemic?
Feel free to share your updates with me, either in the comments or by message.

My daily posts since my "Coronavirus Staycation" began:
Day 1:  Boo boo paw
Day 2:  Let the projects begin
Day 3:  A photo journal
Day 4:  Love wins
Finally Saturday:  It's starting to get to me
The Long Haul:  Be strong & courageous
Who Made the Clouds?  Day 7
Time Out:  Day 8
Fever, Cough & Shortness of Breath (Day 9)

   





1 comment:

  1. Thanks again. I also so enjoyed the Hello parody that I posted it on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete